Re: segfault during test

From: Rik
Subject: Re: segfault during test
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 08:57:40 -0700

On 08/02/2012 04:59 AM, JuanPi wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 6:13 PM, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Can that be? I am compiling in a repo that was checked out from scratch.
>> No.  A brand new repo shouldn't have any cruft.  Is this a plain install on
>> a Linux machine?
>>
>> --Rik
> Hi,
> The OS is
> Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.2.0-27-generic x86_64)
>
> gcc is
> gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5) 4.6.3
>
> The segfault happens after all test are finished.

8/2/12

Juan,

It looks like all the easy channels for debug are closed.

I would start by configuring a debug build of Octave with CFLAGS '-g -O0'.
When you have that built, run it under gdb with './run-octave -g'.
This will put you at the gdb prompt.  Type 'run' to start Octave.
When Octave has started, type 'cd test' and then 'fntests'
This will start the integrated test suite usually run by 'make check'.  If
you have separate build and src directories you will need to cd to the
actual location of fntests.m to run it.
When the tests have completed type 'exit'.  Hopefully you will produce a
segfault at that time and you can use the various facilities of gdb such as
'bt' for backtrace to see where in the Octave internals the problem came from.

--Rik