Re: where to push simple bugfix

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: where to push simple bugfix
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 08:19:49 -0400

On 6 August 2012 08:10, Jacob Dawid <address@hidden> wrote:
>> The source code reorganisation is no trouble for merges. Hg tracks
>> file renames (unlike a well-known competitor), so files moving around
>> cause no great hassle.
>>
>> Or they shouldn't...
>

> Huh? Of course, git does it, too. Afaik, it will store a file rename object
> in its database. Although I have experienced practical difficulties on
> cross-platform projects.

No, git doesn't explicitly track file renames. It tries to do so
"automatically" but what it really does is check if two different
blobs are similar enough across two commits, and if they are, marks
them as a rename. Hg also has this feature (similarity detection), but
in addition you can explicitly mark a rename.

This is a well-known feature/bug of git.

- Jordi G. H.