Re: Improving installation of packages

From: c.
Subject: Re: Improving installation of packages
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 11:55:55 +0200

On 7 Aug 2012, at 23:28, address@hidden wrote:

> Message: 8
> Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 23:09:21 +0200
> From: Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden>
> To: Jordi Guti?rrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
> Cc: Octave Maintainers List <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Improving installation of packages
>
> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 10:29 PM, Jordi Guti?rrez Hermoso
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On 7 August 2012 15:22, Sergey Dudoladov <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> GSoC Project Ideas page mentions that installation of packages from within
>>> Octave needs to be improved.  Is it still needed ?

Yes, we DO need this very much, thanks for proposing to work on it!

>> Yes. The "monolithic" function in question is pkg.m. This is relevant
>> reading material:
>>
>>    http://octave-forge.blogspot.ca/
>>    http://dellsystem.me/posts/socis-2012-with-octave/
>>
>> Both are syndicated from our Planet feed:
>>
>>    http://planet.octave.org
>>
>> HTH,
>> - Jordi G. H.
>
> A quick and (maybe) easy tasks:
> 1. to add the -url flag to pkg install
> 2. automatically install dependencies

Another possibly "simple" task is probably to complete work initiated by
Carnë with this changesets

https://bitbucket.org/carandraug/octave/changeset/1f4712a8b957
https://bitbucket.org/carandraug/octave/changeset/96c6f8103f92

to get rid of '-local' and '-global' options (which were actually not used)
and adapt the changes to the current repository.

c.