Re: error building GUI on Mac OS-X 10.6.8

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: error building GUI on Mac OS-X 10.6.8
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 13:45:09 -0400

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/configuring_a_project_with_autoconf

| Note the list of reasons for VPATH in the above link are pretty much
| what we've concluded.
|
| Does anyone here have experience with VPATH?  If so, does this seem like
| something to utilize for the separate build directory idea?  My initial
| reaction is that VPATH doesn't look like a real robust feature, having
| some older make tools not working properly and some of the comments in
| aclocal.m4 suggesting some quirks.
|
| So one argument against making the VPATH concept a one-liner (from
| Autoconf's perspective) is that it makes running into snags too easy for
| the person not familiar with VPATH resulting in too many complaints.

VPATH is the Make feature that allows the out-of-source-tree builds
that autoconf-generate scripts have been using for nearly 20 years.
So that is what we use to do out-of-source-tree builds.  It works
fine.

I don't really see the need to change anything, though some people
might find that it is convenient to have a --build-dir option for
configure as a minor convenience.