Renaming libcruft

From: Rik
Subject: Renaming libcruft
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 08:58:52 -0700

8/23/12

John,

While you were away there was some discussion about renaming libcruft.

Pros:

1) libcruft doesn't really convey anything and meaningful variable/library
names help in understanding the source code.  For example, liboctinterp and
liboctgui are both clear on what is inside them.

2) It is nice for package maintainers (RedHat, Debian, etc.) if all of the
libraries are in the same "namespace".  For example, on Debian libcruft is
installed right alongside system libraries and it is difficult to
distinguish what it is.  The other Octave libraries are in the "liboct*"
namespace and this library should be as well.

Cons:

1) Laziness.  The build system works and we would have to go through and
find all mentions of libcruft and correct them.  But I'm willing to do the
renamings if we go forward with this project.

Possible Names:

The difficulty is that there isn't much commonality in the code underneath
libcruft so finding a meaningful library name is harder than it is for
liboctgui.  Underneath libcruft we find some Bessel function code, an FFT
implementation, numerical integration, ODE solver, etc.  Basically, the
only commonality I see is that the routines were written in Fortran and
written a long time ago.  Possible names that Mike Miller and myself have
proposed are

liboctclutter
liboctf77
liboctfort
liboctfortmath
liboctfortran
liboctinternal
liboctlowlevel
liboctmisc
liboctugly

If I had to pick, I would go with liboctfortran.

--Rik