Re: Operations with int and single

From: Israel Herraiz
Subject: Re: Operations with int and single
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 11:48:03 +0200

Excerpts from Júlio Hoffimann's message of Thu Sep 13 11:36:57 +0200 2012:
> Even if it was not intended, it's an extra bit of flexibility.

Sure, I don't even understand why it's possible to operate with int
and double, but not with different classes of int (after all, if
doubles are automatically to int in these operations, why not other
ints too?).

> Although GNU Octave aims to be compatible with MATLAB, it doesn't need to
> copy all the bad ideas.

Sure again, but as far as I can tell, MATLAB-compatibility is one of
the goals of Octave. I don't think Octave behavior is "bad" at all, I
was just curious because it's different to MATLAB.

If the behavior is intended, maybe the operation could raise a
warning, saying that it is not MATLAB compatible (as other operations
do).

Cheers,
Israel