Re: Operations with int and single

From: Israel Herraiz
Subject: Re: Operations with int and single
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 15:58:12 +0200

Excerpts from Thorsten Liebig's message of Thu Sep 13 12:01:57 +0200 2012:
> I think the goal is that any Matlab code should run in Octave.

I was asking because there are specific warnings for MATLAB
incompatibilities in other operations, but not when mixing ints and singles.

> But the other way around is not the goal I suppose. There are a lot of things
> Octave can, but Matlab does not.
> So I like it that Octave is smarter than Matlab when it comes to this "mixed
> int-operations"...
>
> Example:
> linspace(0,2*pi)(1:end-1)

Sure. But try this

 octave:1> warning on
 octave:2> a = "Hello";
 warning: potential Matlab compatibility problem: " used as string delimiter

If those operations are not MATLAB compatible (and I insist, I am
totally fine with that :), why does not Octave show a warning about
the incompatibility with MATLAB like in the example I show?

In any case, I was asking because I am not totally sure if the
behavior with int and single is intended or not (if it is, why not mix
integers of different classes too?).

Cheers,
Israel