Re: unimplemented.m documentation

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: unimplemented.m documentation
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 23:08:31 +0200

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 10:17 PM, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 10/24/2012 11:48 AM, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> 10/24/12
>>>
>>> Juan,
>>>
>>> Because of the confusion I thought it a good idea to clarify what
>>> unimplemented.m does.  It now returns a bit of help text if you call it in
>>> the wrong way, including pointing out that this function is not meant to be
>>> invoked by users.  See changeset here
>>> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/8e6a72cac999.
>>>
>>> --Rik
>> Rik,
>> Thank you very much. I am sorry for the error.
>> Why is this function not private?
> 10/24/12
>
> Juan,
>
> It's not private because private functions aren't visible in the PATH
> variable.  The add_missing_hook function, which sets up how the Octave
> interpreter behaves when it doesn't recognize a function name, needs a
> visible function.  We could rename it to __unimplemented__.m to indicate
> that it really isn't for users to call.  We already have __makeinfo__ in
> the help/ directory which is an example of placing an internal function in
> the visible space.
>
> --Rik

Rik,

Please confirm that the files to update if the change was made are

./scripts/pkg/private/parse_pkg_idx.m
./scripts/help/unimplemented.m
./scripts/io/importdata.m

I obtained them with
grep -r --include="*.m" unimplemented .

run at the top level of
"hg summ"
parent: 15563:305ad0a215ba tip
importdata.m: Added tests and made small corrections.
branch: default

I can do the change if you agree with that.

Cheers