[patch #7874] Renaming unimplemented.m to __unimplemented__.m

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: [patch #7874] Renaming unimplemented.m to __unimplemented__.m
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 11:07:09 +0100

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
Date: Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 5:01 PM
To: Rik <address@hidden>, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso
<address@hidden>, Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden>,
address@hidden

Follow-up Comment #5, patch #7874 (project octave):

> The renaming was closed with commit message
> "Close bad file rename"

> What was the problem?

When you moved one file, you recorded a deletion and an addition
instead of a renaming. This meant that it looks like the
__unimplemented__.m file looks like entirely your own creation, i.e.
it lost its history as inherited from unimplemented.m

To avoid this in the future, use the "hg rename" command so that hg is
aware of file renames, and turn on the git-style diff option in your
.hgrc:

[diff]
git = true

I fixed your commit to actually record the rename. Because a bad
commit had already been published, I closed the bad head so that
development could continue on the good one. After enabling the git
option in diff, compare the two commits:

hg export -r 77795b0ed263 ## Yours
hg export -r  ## Mine

## History as recorded by you
hg annotate -u -n -r 77795b0ed263 scripts/help/__unimplemented__.m

## History as recorded by me
hg annotate -u -n -r 8ed107220a3e scripts/help/__unimplemented__.m

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?7874>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/

Jordi,

Thanks for the detailed explanations. I though I had used "hg mv" but
apparently I did not.

New shirt question, I know you can close branches by doing "hg commit
--close-branch", is this what you did to close the "bad file rename"
branch (ba5956503707)?