Forked off GUI

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Forked off GUI
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 16:57:26 -0400

Moving to the maintainers' list...

On 30 October 2012 10:22, Israel Herraiz <address@hidden> wrote:
> Excerpts from Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso's message of Tue Oct 30 14:53:54 +0100
> 2012:
>> I wish you had used hg instead of svn so that getting your changes
>> back would have been as easy as a pull and merge. Is there a reason
>> why you don't like hg?
>
> I needed a place to manage my code and offer downloads, and
> forja.rediris.es seemed like a good place because it is precisely to
> support free software development in Spanish academia. They only
> support SVN. I would have preferred Git or Mercurial.

I see. I suppose the Spanish language is an essential feature of the
website? Makes me wonder if I should work harder to do i18n for the
Agora website.

> Anyway, I have converted the SVN repository to Mercurial. There is a
> bundle available at http://mat.caminos.upm.es/~iht/tmp/octave-upm.hg

I appreciate the gesture, but at this point it's just symbolic. It's
no great help to create a new hg clone that's unrelated to the hg
clone you forked off from.

I have started from your svn repo. You forked off quite a long time
ago, before we moved the build system to autotools, and before many
other changes in the GUI, so it will take some time to merge your code
back in. We definitely cannot replace our code with yours, but I will
be trying to understand what you did and see how much we can integrate
back. Depending on what I can find, maybe we can only merge back
ideas, not code.

- Jordi G. H.