Re: [OctDev] complex error function

From: Steven G. Johnson
Subject: Re: [OctDev] complex error function
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 11:23:54 -0500

On 11/20/12 9:01 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
Yet it might be desired to have complex error
function family of functions:

octave-cli:3> erfc(complex(1,pi))
error: erfc: not defined for complex scalar

Will this code work for that?

Yes. I provide complex-argument versions of all the standard error functions (erf, erfc, erfcx, erfi, and w).

If Steven's code were released as a mini C library that could be
accessed easily and had some compile switches to use internal square
root, sinc, etc. functions or external, that might address Jordi's
concern about maintaining the code.

I am certainly happy to provide a four-line Makefile that compiles the code as a shared library and installs it. However, as a packaging issue, do you really want to add a dependency to a new library that no one will have installed by default?

Regarding maintenance, the same effect could be achieved by simply using my Faddeeva.cc file as-is in Octave, coordinating bugfixes upstream (please!!!), and put the Octave-specific glue in a separate file. Then you can easily incorporate any future updates.

Regarding Jordi's concerns, please see my response above.

--SGJ