Re: [OctDev] complex error function

From: Steven G. Johnson
Subject: Re: [OctDev] complex error function
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 21:58:12 -0500

Daniel J Sebald wrote:
Have you sent someone in command of that library an email to inquire?
[...]
Because it hasn't been accepted into the standard library doesn't mean it can't be used as an extension.

Not only would it be an extension (which they RARELY accept...it took them years to even accept commonplace and desperately needed extensions like qsort_r), but it would potentially (at least in theory) conflict with future C standards (since the name is reserved but not yet defined). Not only are they almost certain to reject such a contribution, I would actually agree with such a rejection: they should NOT be implementing reserved C99 identifiers based on "guessed" meanings (no matter how reasonable the guess).

It sure would be nice though, if it were incorporated, to be just like "erf()" in the C++ code, but instead "cerf()".

(C++ does not support erf for complex arguments either.)

The other part of this is that I would really like to see the algorithm evaluated before considering for inclusion in the core of Octave. I'm sure there are at least a few people on this list capable of doing that, but I wonder if you are better served by opening this to a more algorithm-oriented audience or publication in SIAM or some similar journal.

It mainly implements a combination of two previously published algorithms (using one or the other algorithm in different regions of the complex plane), with a few minor twists, so there is probably not enough novelty at this point to merit a paper in a good journal.

However, I have corresponded with the author of one of the algorithms I implemented to get his feedback, along with a couple of other colleagues, and the SciPy people did their own testing as well.

Of course, I'd be very happy to get any constructive feedback on the algorithm or code from the Octave folks as well. Certainly, you will want to do your own testing.

--SGJ