Re: [OctDev] moving Octave Forge mailing list to core's mailman server

From: Daniel J Sebald
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 18:01:48 -0600

On 11/25/2012 04:10 PM, Carnë Draug wrote:
On 25 November 2012 21:44, Daniel J Sebald<address@hidden>  wrote:
On 11/25/2012 01:48 PM, Carnë Draug wrote:
You seem to be confused about what Octave Forge is.

[snip]
I get a lot of email with OctDev tagged onto it (the name OctDev itself
leads to confusion given it is associated with Octave Forge...and I
understand this is why we are discussing name changes) and discussions seem
to be primarily about packages and Java and applications.  That seems like
advanced stuff.

At the moment, the decision whether a thread belongs to the help or
octave-dev mailing list is whether the reply is "use package X from
octave forge". I'll argue that most Octave users already use at least
one of the Octave Forge packages. And I'll also argue that no one in
Octave Forge uses all the Octave Forge packages. So if the question is
how to use a function from an Octave Forge package, users on the help
mailing list already are the right people to answer it. Keeping them
separated makes no sense anymore.

Thoughts from others who have followed the "help" email list?

There's plenty of applications and packages for Octave that are not
part of Forge.

That doesn't mean Octave Forge isn't primarily about packages and
applications.

What is this applications you keep talking about? There's only packages.

You are thinking of applications as in hunk of software, I suspect. I'm speaking in terms of applied science, e.g., signal processing, civil engineering, image processing, statistics. However, looking at the list of packages just now, it does seem there are quite a few more geared toward software, e.g., tcl-octave. Anyway, "address@hidden" was an alternative I tossed out there.

What is Forge?

Forget that the word Forge means anything. It's just the name of the
project. Maybe historically means it was hosted in SourceForge. Or
maybe because the original idea behind the project was to develop and
test new things which would be moved into core as they mature.

Both.

Yes and no.  I often see discussions of bugs.  Some bugs are straightforward
and remain on the tracker.  Some are either vague and difficult to solve and
warrant help from others, hence discussion list.  Some bugs expose an
underlying weakness in design and warrant discussion about design
modifications.

That may be true in core. I do not remember that ever happening in
forge. Considering the way development is done in Forge, I wouldn't
consider this to ever be a problem.

"install package" would be the conceptual development there--now stable.

That said, the only type of threads from the current Octave Forge
mailing list that would now appear in maintainers would be license
stuff, adding of new packages, google summer of code, etc... As an
example, for the month of November, these are the threads:

Yes, those all make sense.  There is some overlap, which is fine.
Occasional duplication hasn't struck me as a concern as of yet. Perhaps
others feel otherwise.

It's not just occasional. Almost all of the forge threads related to
development are also mentioned in the maintainers mailing list.

I guess the question is whether Octave Forge should be rolled into an all
inclusive Octave.  Presumably that's the way it will be someday, provided
things stabilize.  Is that day approaching?  Sort of, but not quite yet, I
would argue.

Yes it is. Not one big change though, but slowly slowly seems to be
the direction it's taking. It doesn't make sense to make that question
yet, maybe it never will. But in the mean time, when things start to
overlap, such as in the case of the mailing lists, it makes sense to
merge them. We are not discussing more than just that, mailing lists.

Getting rid of an active mailing list is more than a name change. That traffic has to go somewhere. I doubt the package concept is going away.

Dan