Re: java package and MacOS

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: java package and MacOS
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 21:01:03 -0600

On 11/27/2012 08:45 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

On Nov 27, 2012, at 6:14 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
[snip]
Well, if you have Java on your system (which I assume is the case if you do any web browsing...type
"java" or "javac" at a shell command line to confirm) then this should be a configuration
issue (emphasis "should").  Java is supposed to be a very portable environment.

Perhaps your definition of JAVA_HOME is wrong, but in my case I can set JAVA_HOME to any
valid directory and "dlgtest(0)" functions properly.

Dan

MacOS X has Java.  If I understand the problem correctly ,.. the problem is
that for MacOS X, the GUI loop must be in the main program thread.  What I'm
not sure of is if the GUI loop  can support both a Qt and Java (I suspect it
can not, but don't know).

Oh, you are running Octave as its GUI? I think several of us have been running with the --no-gui option.

I just found out a little while ago that running these Java commands while inside the GUI doesn't work. Nothing happens or it crashes.

Dan