Re: dlgtest() no longer needs Octave package

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: dlgtest() no longer needs Octave package
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 21:54:50 -0600

On 11/28/2012 01:41 PM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
Carnë Draug-2 wrote
On 28 November 2012 02:58, Daniel J Sebald<

daniel.sebald@

> wrote:
Regarding some of the functions in the java package and directing to the
broader list, are the names "errordlg", "helpdlg", etc. language
standards?
If not, I wonder if their names should include "java" in some way.  The
reason I wonder is because if one launches Octave with the new GUI/IDE
then
it seems to me that "errordlg", etc. would be nicer as a Qt widget, not
Java.  That way, it is the same look and feel and uses just one software
exterior.

I just tried creating some Java dialog boxes under the Octave IDE and it
crashes on my system.  Should we start entering bugs for Java in the
tracker, or wait a while?

They work all right on my Linux box even when invoked from the GUI.

But I see now that JWE has apparently transferred older versions of the
dialog m-files into core Octave.

IIRC I have updated them last June and July for minor style changes and to
accept multiline input for the MESSAGE argument (i.e., cellstr arrays). It
also says so on the Java package page f. version 1.2.9, function details, on
the OF website.

I tried the inputdlg() in octave-cli and that works with multiple lines. (It gives an arcane error about java.xyz something if the input format is not a cellstr. That should be changed to a meaningful error statement conditioned in the script file.)

You're saying the versions of the java interactive elements now in Octave work on your system? Or you have the latest version, and those work?

You are right, this things would look better as Qt widgets, and my
understanding is that these functions are going to be rewritten that
way. There's no reason for them to be limited to use java.

True.
But perhaps the Java-based dialog functions can still be present, yet
shadowed by other (Qt? OpenGL?) versions. At least they do work now so these
ML-compatible functions are now implemented.

Sure. I meant that "errordlg" and "inputdlg" seem like they shouldn't be in a java subdirectory, but a more generic user interface directory. Perhaps "javaerrordlg" and "javainputdlg" is what should be in the java directory. If running without Qt IDE then inputdlg() would defer to javainputdlg(), etc.

Dan