Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] mkoctfile not installed in Wheezy

From: Sébastien Villemot
Subject: Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] mkoctfile not installed in Wheezy
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2012 18:31:15 +0100

Carnë Draug <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2 December 2012 01:55, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On 1 December 2012 08:52, Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> For example, how do you install a package that is not in Octave-Forge
>>> nor packaged by the debian group?
>>
>> Such a package does not exist unless that package is too unstable to
>> be in Debian, in which case it is a development package, so it is "a
>> dev thing".
>
> Geometry is not in stable (I know, when Squeeze was release that
> package didn't exist). But mechanics package is not in any of the
> Debian distributions.
>
> Debian can't package all of them. It's great they can package the most
> important ones, but if Agora works out as planned, there's just no way
> they can deal with all packages.

I don't really understand the point of this discussion. The current
state of Debian packages offers the best of both worlds:

- most 'Forge packages can be installed the Debian way (through APT);
  the advantage of this solution is that you have the guarantee that
  these package versions will play well with the Debian Octave version;
  you get cryptographically secured download; you can make system-wide
  installs; and you don't have to go through the hassle of figuring out
  correct dependencies and compiling

- alternatively, all 'Forge packages can be installed the "native" way,
  through "pkg install"; for this you need to have liboctave-dev
  installed, as documented in the README.Debian.

--
 .''`.    Sébastien Villemot
: :' :    Debian Developer