Re: JAVA_HOME on Mac OS X

From: Rik
Subject: Re: JAVA_HOME on Mac OS X
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 11:14:05 -0800

On 12/07/2012 09:00 AM, address@hidden wrote:
> Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 09:59:49 -0700
> From: Alexander Hansen <address@hidden>
> To: Philip Nienhuis <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: Java compilation warnings
>
> On 12/7/12 9:20 AM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> > I got reports from a Fink developer telling me that on Mac OSX the JDK
>> > location might change with every new OSX version and the JDK is no more
>> > comprehensive but scattered all over the place. The Apple tool 'javaconfig'
>> > is needed to find out what parts are where.
>> >
>> > Philip
>> >

>> > --
>> >
> javaconfig doesn't actually work properly as of 10.8, apparently, since
> the property list file that it uses isn't installed.
>
> I've been trying to find a different system-provided tool to do the same
> thing, but no without success as of yet.
On Mac's the location will change between different versions.  You are also
supposed to be able to set preferences that determine which Java gets
executed when you have multiple versions installed.

I was going to install this code, but it would be nice if someone with a
Mac could verify that it actually works.

  # On Mac OS X 10.5 and following, run /usr/libexec/java_home to get
  # the value of JAVA_HOME to use.
  # (http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#qa/qa2001/qa1170.html).
  JAVA_HOME=`/usr/libexec/java_home 2>/dev/null`

--Rik