Re: Coursera: about Octave

From: Benjamin Abbott
Subject: Re: Coursera: about Octave
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 12:05:24 -0500

On Dec 13, 2012, at 10:38 AM, Pascal Dupuis <address@hidden> wrote:

2012/12/13 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>:
On 13 December 2012 10:03, Pascal Dupuis <address@hidden> wrote:
2012/12/13 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>:
On 12 December 2012 18:44,  <address@hidden> wrote:

I would like to introduce myself as a Course Operations guy at
Coursera. I saw your post in threads about the difficulty of
installing Octave on the new Mac OSX. We would like to look into the
problem and work with GNU to make some fix here. Can you give me a
summary of the specific issues you've seen in installing Octave on
OSX?

We're having trouble creating a dmg for Octave. The situation is
basically the following:

   http://wiki.octave.org/Create_a_MacOS_X_App_Bundle_Using_MacPorts

Ben Abbot (cc'ed here along with the Octave maintainers' list) has
been doing most of this work. I'm sure he will be glad to have your
help.

OTOH, the MacPort project as both a stable and a devel version of
octave. Installing octave is just a matter of typing:
sudo port -v install octave-devel

Type where? How do I do it? Please, help me. Is this Unix? I'm not a
Unix expert. I don't want to get a PhD in computer science just to
install Octave.

I'm at my wits' end here. I've been trying to install Octave for the
past day and I can't do it. I'm almost crying. All I know how to do is
click on icons and drag them to install them. You know what would be
great, if Octave developers produced a simple installer for dummies
like me. Why haven't they had this idea yet?

- Jordi G. H.

My Ph.D is in biomedical engineering, not computer science, so I
assure it's doable :-)

I found the PackageMaker.App, I'll try to produce a .dmg shortly.

Regards

Pascal

For those who come across this thread later, the PackageMaker.app is part of Xcode and is part of the Auxillary Tools.

http://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.xcode.html

Ben