Re: Coursera: about Octave

From: Michael D. Godfrey
Subject: Re: Coursera: about Octave
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 13:31:34 -0500

On 12/13/2012 12:14 PM, c. wrote:
On 13 Dec 2012, at 16:50, address@hidden wrote:

> Type where? How do I do it? Please, help me. Is this Unix? I'm not a
> Unix expert. I don't want to get a PhD in computer science just to
> install Octave.
I see your point, I agree that having a dmg installer would be great good,
and I'll be happy to give any possible support to the coursera guy if he tries
to build one.

OTOH, if the coursera customers are students taking a course on machine
learning I would say it would be OK to fail those that are unable to install
MacPorts ...

c.

That is a bit tough.  The students come from all over.  And, if they are taking
machine learning, for example, that is what they should focus on.  Maybe there is,
or will be, a course on "computer skills."  Also, other Coursera courses that have
even less to do with fancy computer skills may want to use Octave...

So, I agree, a .dmg is a good idea.

Michael