Re: control toolbox - time delays

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: control toolbox - time delays
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 12:24:13 -0800 (PST)

Lukas Reichlin-4 wrote
> On 10.01.2013, at 19:17, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <

> jordigh@

> > wrote:
>
>> On 10 January 2013 12:56, Carnë Draug <

> carandraug@

> > wrote:
>>
>>> You probably want to branch "octave-forge/extra/control-devel" instead
>>> of "octave-forge/main/control". Also, you don't need `svn mkdir`, the
>>> `svn copy` command should create the directory for you.
>>
>> Ew, svn branching. Are we doing a lot of that? At the risk of sounding
>> fanatical, would there be any value if we start moving OF to hg?
>>
>> - Jordi G. H.
>
> Hi Jordi
>
> Mercurial would be a good idea, IMHO. Especially because the current SVN
> web interface sucks, the one we had until a few months ago was much better
> for browsing and comparing code (IIRC ViewVC) and one could download
> directories as .tar.gz archives for installation.

The sourceforge web interface is by no means the only way to to deal with
octave-forge. There are various VCS clients (graphical or CLI) that simply
bypass the SF mess.

E.g., on Windows (my main octave-forge development platform) I use
TortoiseSVN for commits, checkouts, browsing, etc etc. Extremely convenient.
At least, for me. For me there's absolutely no need to change VCS, quite the
opposite.
As to Mercurial, I tried TortoiseHg (for Windows) some years ago, IMO its
setup is a bit flawed. Probably there are clients for other platforms as
well.

As to OF, I wonder what problem would be solved with Mercurial.
Currently there is little or no simultaneous access to code in the repo,
most packages are maintained by individuals.
As to branches, the control package -as suggested- would be the first.
Perhaps a temporary io branch as well, to support the new core Java
interface next to the Java-package based one for older Octave versions.

Has anybody checked to see if SourceForge's mercurial support doesn't suck
as much as its svn support?

Philip