Re: Subscribe maintainers list to the bug/patch tracker [was "Patch to m

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Subscribe maintainers list to the bug/patch tracker [was "Patch to make common octave_dock_widget class"]
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 14:51:49 -0600

On 02/07/2013 02:14 PM, Carnë Draug wrote:
On 7 February 2013 19:30, c.<address@hidden>  wrote:
On 7 Feb 2013, at 19:40, Carnë Draug<address@hidden>  wrote:
On 7 February 2013 13:56, c.<address@hidden>  wrote:
The trackers seem like a very good place to store contributions but not as good
for carrying on the discussion about them.

Why is it not a good place to carry a discussion about a bug? It's
very self contained, no one can change the subject line and get the
discussion split into multiple threads, keeps an history, and anyone
not on the mailing list can easily be added to the notifications. It's
the perfect place to carry the discussion about a specific bug. It was
designed for that purpose.

All true, but I somehow get the feeling that, in practice, patches posted on
the tracker
only get the attention they deserve when the contributor also announces them on
the mailing list.

[...]

which was not announced on the list AFAIK and has been waiting in vain in the
tracker even though
it solves an issue that has been brought up already a few times on the list in
the past.

[..] Instead, developers should be motivated to subscribe to the
trackers, [...]

Yes, but that's because there's people on the mailing list that will
comment and work on the bug/patch that are not subscribed on the
trackers. That's why I suggested that the solution should be to
encourage those developers to subscribed to the trackers.

The current method of opening a report on the trackers and then coming
to the mailing list announcing it annoys me a tiny bit. It's a call of
attention, as if the person thinks his reports are more important the
others by bringing it to a larger audience.

I think most everyone has been pretty good on this. There is always going to be a "competition for attention", whether it is a software project, a board room, whatever. But some general rules are good:

1) If one submits a bug report that isn't of much urgency, wait a few days or even weeks to see if the bug is responded to.

2) If the user has submitted a bug report WITH an attached changeset, consider announcing it to the list if developers have not responded to the bug report and it seems as though it has sunk to the bottom in all the new reports arriving.

3) If the user has submitted a bug report with an attached changeset and it is has some urgency (i.e., others are searching for a fix at the time), or it has some broad implications, tell the list.

I don't think this would be too much of a concern one way or another if the number of bug reports can be reduced by good programming, less FIXMEs, so on. Bottom line is that putting more effort into writing bug-free code will prevent excessive effort servicing the bug list.

 If everyone starts doing
it, then all reports get the same attention again so none will get the
"advantage" (it feels like they are on race and it shouldn't). The
solution should not to bring them all to the mailing list but to force
them to stay on the tracker. I already get a notification when there's
something new on the trackers, I don't need a duplicate.

Again, that wouldn't be such a hindrance if the number of bug reports were less.

Dan