Re: Help-octave post from address@hidden requires approval

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Help-octave post from address@hidden requires approval
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 13:53:44 -0500

Hey,

On 20 February 2013 12:12, Anja Skrba <address@hidden>wrote:
> I am writing to inquire regarding your web page about FAQ for Octave
> users where I have found a lot of useful information. My name is
> Anja and I'm currently studying at the Faculty of Computer Science
> in Belgrade. Here is the URL of your article:
> http://wiki.octave.org/FAQ
>
> I would like to share it with the people from Former Yugoslav
> Republics: Serbia, Montenegro, Croatia, Slovenia, Macedonia, Bosnia
> and Herzegovina.
>
> I would be grateful if you could allow me to translate your writing
> into Serbo-Croatian language, that is used in all Former Yugoslav
> Republics and to post it on my website. Hopefully, it will help our
> people to gather some additional knowledge about computing.

That should be ok, and I was going to tell you to that you don't even
need permission to do so, but I just noticed that we haven't been
careful about our licensing of the wiki content. I'm not sure what to
do about this, nor which license should we choose. My own inclination
is that Wikipedia's own CC license should be ok, or else the GPL,
since some of the wiki content is taken directly from Octave's source
code. The FAQ in particular that you're linking to, is derived from an
old document that itself was GPLed

Therefore, unless someone complains within the next day or so, I'm
going to put a clause on the wiki that the content is licensed under
the same terms as Octave itself (GPL), and thus translations are
allowed and encouraged. This seems like the simplest solution. If
someone complains about their wiki contributions being under the GPL,
we may have to remove them.

- Jordi G. H.