Re: printf and locale

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: printf and locale
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 20:03:59 -0500

On 02/23/2013 02:48 PM, Rik wrote:

It
seems to me that we either need to seriously examine the code base for all
possibe locale-aware constructs, or back off until we have enough time and
manpower to tackle this project.

I'd prefer to revert previous changes and give locales more complete thought before jumping in. It would probably make sense to think about how to deal with other internationalization issues at the same time (unicode, anyone?).

Whatever we decide, we need to take the following into consideration for compatibility with Matlab:

http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/matlab_env/how-the-matlab-process-uses-locale-settings.html

Note that Matlab unconditionally uses the C locale for LC_NUMERIC. Using something different is just begging for future bug reports about compatibility.