Re: More summer of code ideas needed!

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: More summer of code ideas needed!
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 14:40:33 -0700 (PDT)

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
> Mentoring organisation applications for Google Summer of Code are now
> open!
>

> http://google-opensource.blogspot.ca/2013/03/mentoring-organization-applications-now.html
>
> I have been cleaning up our ideas page in preparation for this:
>
>     http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Low-Level_I.2FO
>
> This has resulted in a number of ideas from past years being reworked
> or removed. We need more ideas! It would be nice if we could get more
> ideas for the Octave Forge packages.

Not so much OF, but while working on textread/etc lately it occurred to me
that a binary (compiled) textscan function would be wonderful. JWE has made
a skeleton 1.5 years ago. A test suite already exists (made by Ben) and the
current .m implementations have additional tests.

Unfortunately my own c++ skills are lacking so I'd be a bad mentor. (If I
knew c++ better a binary textscan would have existed already.)

Philip