Re: new strsplit function

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: new strsplit function
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 17:00:23 +0100

On 2 April 2013 13:02, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
> I've added a "conventional" to the possible delimitertypes, and selected this
> as the default when all delimiters are scalar characters. I've also enabled
> 2D character array inputs. The following replacements may be made into OF,
> and Octave core, to use Jaroslav's implementation.  A changeset to core to
> use these substitutions will also be needed.
>
> - strsplit (str, del)
> + strsplit (str, del, "collapsedelimiters", false, "delimitertype",
> "conventional")
>
> - strsplit (str, del, false)
> + strsplit (str, del, "collapsedelimiters", false, "delimitertype",
> "conventional")
>
> - strsplit (str, del, true)
> + strsplit (str, del, "collapsedelimiters", true, "delimitertype",
> "conventional")

That means that OF packages with this change, will only work after 3.8
being released, and the ones without the change will stop working once
3.8 is released, so the releases would have to be timed.

Instead, I propose we add the old strsplit in the private directory of
each package. Then, once 3.8 gets released, we can remove them and
make the change as each package gets re-released.

Also, instead of "conventional", what about "legacy"? Just for sake of
cohesion, since matlab seems to use that word to specify the old
behaviour of a function. For example:
http://www.mathworks.co.uk/help/matlab/ref/unique.html

Carnë