Re: Help needed to fix QTerminal problem

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Help needed to fix QTerminal problem
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 19:37:57 -0400

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 6:54 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
On 04/08/2013 06:30 PM, Michael Goffioul wrote:

I'm not sure I understand where you would put that option and who would
be responsible for parsing it. The QTerminal widget does not run cmd.exe.

Maybe I misunderstood the purpose of this function

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/293f5479a7e7/libgui/qterminal/libqterminal/win32/QWinTerminalImpl.cpp#l605

and the way that the QTerminal object is initialized and used.

Can you enlighten me by giving a brief overview?

That function is actually not used in the context of octave. It is intended to run a separate process in the terminal window. Octave is running in a separate thread. The way it works is:
- create a QTerminal widget
- in QTerminal constructor, redirect STDIN/STDOUT/STDERR to the terminal widget (using OS-specific mechanism)
- start octave REPL in a separate thread, with redirected standard input/output

The code you mention above would be used if QWinTerminalImpl was created using the second form of the constructor, with the "const QString& cmd" argument. Then a separate process would be started. Initially, I designed the Win32 QTerminal widget to be a general purpose terminal component, not specifically for octave.

Michael.