Re: Iran, copyright, Matlab and Octave

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: Iran, copyright, Matlab and Octave
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 11:19:01 -0400

On 04/10/2013 09:15 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
On 10 April 2013 09:07, Andy Buckle <address@hidden> wrote:
I would add that, even if it is not illegal in Iran to copy Matlab freely,
it is still immoral.

I don't think so. Copying is not wrong. Copying is not theft:

     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU7axyrHWDQ

The Mathworks isn't actually losing anything by having Matlab being
copied. It's just not *gaining* anything monetarily, but they are
gaining mindshare. For this reason, most of the time TMW turns a blind
eye to the rampant copyright infringement. Some of the most benign
actions, such as taking a Matlab m-file, modifying it, and hosting it
along with your own Matlab package are actually copyright
infringement, but few would think this is immoral.

As long as everyone is using Matlab, TMW can still profit from it one
way or another, whether with license fees today outside Iran, or
license fees tomorrow when our Matlab-addicted Iranian student goes to
a country where copyright lawsuits are profitable.

Copying Matlab isn't any more wrong than copying Octave is.

This is a dangerous argument. In my personal opinion, Matlab was created by TMW so they have the right to decide how they want to handle it. Octave creators chose one path, TMW chose another and I believe it is moral to respect their choice.

Here's a silly analogy: if I invite people to my house, I will feed them _my_ favorite food, make them take off their shoes and keep showing my vacation pictures. If they don't enjoy that, they should not come again, but I don't think they have a right to say that I would not be harmed if they cooked their own food, or watched TV instead of talking to me.

It all boils down to my favorite definition of anti-social behavior: it's something that, if everyone did it, we'll all be worse off. I want the right to decide what to do with the stuff I own, so I give others a similar consideration. In this case, I don't agree with a lot of copyright rules, and I think that many copyright owners, including TMW, are being excessive in their demands (e.g. I consider Matlab Central terms of use stupid and offensive), but I tolerate the existing rules because the alternative is to reject them, and that is too anarchic for my taste.