Re: Google Summer of Code Project

From: Patrick Noffke
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code Project
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 10:37:49 -0500

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 11:53 PM, Ming Liu <address@hidden> wrote:
Dear Patrick,
Thank you for your reply!
I have built Octave from source under Ubuntu OS, according to the instructions on the official Octave website.
I have four years experiences in C++ and C programming. The tasks that I have done are in the areas of compilation principle implementation, operating system implementation, parallel computing, algorithms design, document analysis, cryptography, etc. I also have some experience in Java, Python, SQL, Scala, etc..
I am proficient in programming using MATLAB. I have some experience in image processing, computer vision and their implementation using MATLAB.
I am currently doing the research work about littlecms library.
I claim that all information provided above is authentic.

Thank you so much for your help. I really hope to be granted a chance of doing the Gsoc project.
A little question, how can I participate in the project?

Hi Ming,

Thank you for your reply.  Your background and experience sound great.

If you haven't already, please read the Google FAQ about the GSoC.  Beyond that, I would suggest to start on your proposal.  I will spend some time to see what are reasonable goals to achieve for the summer.  These can be refined later in the project if necessary.

This is my first time acting as a mentor, so there is a learning curve for me, too.  I expect my role will be primarily to help agree on a scope, and to conduct tests to make sure the transforms are working correctly and the interfaces are correct.  I will also do my best to help overcome any hurdles.

My background is in math and physics, and I have worked since '97 primarily on developing products for controlling printing presses.  I have designed color measurement scanners (both hardware/optics and software).  We do a lot of image processing, and of course, lots to do with color.  I've done lots of programming in C++, Ada, Java, and I have a lot of experience on Linux and cross-platform development.  I use Qt whenever I need to make UIs.  I am quite familiar with doing color transforms, both in Matlab and with littlecms (we have software that computes target L*a*b* images based on 1-bit CMYK TIFFs).

I'm looking forward to helping octave gain this functionality, and I look forward to reviewing your proposal.

I will try to provide more information later this weekend.

Regards,
Patrick