Re: gsoc2013 octave audio system

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: gsoc2013 octave audio system
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 15:40:08 -0400

On 17 April 2013 15:24, Vytautas Jancauskas <address@hidden> wrote:
> The repository is here https://bitbucket.org/bucket_brigade/octave-sound

Ideally, you should fix the existing playaudio functions under
scripts/audio in Octave and you should work with our own source code.
Your commitment to long-term involvement Octave will be more evident
if you read our source code, use our build tools, and contribute back
to our existing codebase. I was envisioning this project as fixing the
existing playaudio functions in core Octave. Have you at least read
those functions and realised why they are so poorly implemented?

> I added basic playback using portaudios blocking mode. It will only
> work if you have pulseaudio on your system since it looks for "pulse"
> device.

What's the point of using portaudio and then tying it to pulse? I was
hoping that using portaudio wouldn't even make you consider doing
something like this. Perhaps portaudio isn't the best choice, if you
still have to do things like this.

> You need portaudio19 headers at least. This is just something
> to get my feet a little wet. Compile by running scons.

Scons? Why? We use autotools here. If you need help figuing out a
basic autoconf file, you can look at other OF packages and their
configure.ac files.

- Jordi G. H.