Re: gsoc2013 octave audio system

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: gsoc2013 octave audio system
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 16:28:52 -0400

 Why not. The WAV file format is like that. When not floating point then you must specify 1 byte or 2 bytes or 3 bytes per individual sample.

Doug

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 3:21 PM, Vytautas Jancauskas <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 9:52 PM, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 4:55 AM, Vytautas Jancauskas wrote:
>> How important is matlab compatibility to octave users? Should it be
>> strived for even if solution becomes less than ideal?
>
> In general, compatibility is what we strive for. In terms of behavior,
> not necessarily appearance. Matlab scripts should be able to run in
> Octave without any changes, that is the general ideal. If it's
> undocumented behavior, then it may or may not be necessary.
>
> Octave can and does go above and beyond Matlab behavior where it
> doesn't break compatibility.
>
> What is the case you're looking at?
>
> --
> mike

Well, for one there is some disrepancy, I think, between what matlab
calls an audio device and what portaudio calls an audio device. I
don't have access to matlab right now but I'm pretty certain they mean
physical devices while portaudio enumerates things like "pulse",
"jack", "default", "system default", etc. as devices.

"Bits per sample. Specify only when signal Y is represented by
floating-point values. Valid values depend on the audio hardware
installed: 8, 16, or 24."

This bit of matlab documentation cannot possibly be right can it? It
certainly should be "Specify only when signal Y is represented by
integer values"?

--
DAS

https://linuxcounter.net/user/206392.html