Re: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 86, Issue 25

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 86, Issue 25
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 13:37:05 -0500

    Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 21:44:43 -0500
    From: Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden
[snip]
    The code isn't very extensive right now:

http://code.google.com/p/openshapefactory/source/browse/Libs/QScintilla-gpl-2.5.1/Qt4/qscilexeroctave.cpp?r=eb84e57b18a318b3aa65588c66c92fca5cf71641

    Is it expected to change at a rapid pace for the short term while GUID+O
    is in development.

    John D, I see you've done some work on the lexer for Scintilla.  What
    makes sense here?  It appears that QScintilla octave lexer inherits
    matlab lexer which inherits the generic lexer.  How does the
    matlab/octave lexer from scintilla fit into this picture?

    Dan

The qscintilla lexer and lexlib is directly from scintilla 3.2.3
(scintilla is now 3.3.1).
I had contacted the qscintilla guys about whether there where any plans
to integrate in the later versions of scintilla lexers (and in fact I
event sent them a patch with the latest lexers that would still work
with thier code) and got no reponse back on either whether they were
planning to integrate, use the patch or anything else.
If thier lack of reponse so far is any indication ...

QScintilla is not a very active list. I did get some pretty good responses from one individual about markers, but I don't think the group as a whole were too enthusiastic about making a change unless it seemed absolutely necessary.

Where should the core maintenance be then? Is it something that should be done in Scintilla? Or Qscintilla? I.e., should it be

Scintilla matlab/octave lexer
  -> QSci matlab/octave lexer
    -> QSCI OCTAVE LEXER

or

Scintilla matlab/octave lexer
  -> SCINTILLA OCTAVE LEXER
    -> QSci octave lexer

where the all caps is meant to be where the significant keywords and code changes reside and all else is sort of a wrapper and the arrow is meant to be inheritance or derived-from.

Dan