Re: MXE/readline and event hook

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: MXE/readline and event hook
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 12:33:37 -0700 (PDT)

Michael Goffioul wrote
> Could anybody check what's the CPU usage of octave with a MXE build when
> readline has an input event hook (e.g. when using FLTK as graphics
> toolkit)?
>
> I upraded my readline version to 6.2, using patches almost identical to
> the
> ones in MXE. But it seems octave CPU usage is plummeting when having a
> readline hook defined. My previous (hacked) readline version used a
> different mechanism that avoided the problem.

FWIW (if you mean: CPU usage when graphics_toolkit is set to fltk but Octave
is otherwise idle?):

On Win7 64-bit, core i5:

CPU usage with your MSVC Octave-3.6.4 gives about 22-27 %. Quitting Octave
gets CPU usage back to 2-10 %.

With an MXE GUI build, Octave consistently gives about 22 % CPU usage
(otherwise idle). gnuplot or fltk makes no discernable difference.

Interestingly, with an MXE-CLI w gnuplot as backend, CPU usage initially is
about 1-2%. When switching to fltk, it rises to 21-22 %. But after switching
back to gnuplot CPU usage remains at 21-22 %

Maybe it's me but I find those idle CPU usages a bit high.

Philip