Re: Gui editor settings on MacOS X

From: Torsten
Subject: Re: Gui editor settings on MacOS X
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2013 13:38:45 +0200

On 09.06.2013 12:51, Ben Abbott wrote:
> Ok.  My focus has been on the consistency of spacing.  For example,
> the vertical spacing between the first two check boxes is not the
> same as between 2 & 3, and 3 & 4.
>
> My preference is to be agnostic about taste and go with a setting of
> -1 for spacing.  That introduces variances between MacOS X and the
> others, whose esthetic impact I hope can be minimized.
>
> In any event, I modified your v2 by deleting an unused widget (a
> hortizontalLayout_4 I think) and modified the verticalLayoutSpacing
> of editor_common_settings_grid from 0 to -1 to provide a consistent
> spacing between the top four check boxes.
>
> The last two check boxes don't have the same right margins on MacOS X
> (as compared to the first four) due to the first four being embedded
> in an extra widget.  That is resolved by embedding the last two one
> additional level (a clumsy solution, but I don't know of another way
> to fix it).
>
> The rendered result on MacOS X still have a variance in the spacing
> between the 2nd and 3rd check box (tighter than between 1st & 2nd and
> 3rd & 4th), but as this is a bug is barely noticeable, I think it is
> ok.  The right margins for all check boxes are consistent for all
> previews (please confirm on Ubuntu) and looks good on MacOS X as
> well.

Thanks, Looks good.

Should the vertical spacing of the other grids be changed to -1, too?

What happens if you add the a horizontal spacer like horizontalSpacer_12
into the last column of every line in editor_common_settings_grid? Maybe
it is the spacer that makes the vertical spacing after line 1 larger
than the other.

Torsten