Re: Workspace dialog on MacOS X

From: Abbott, Ben
Subject: Re: Workspace dialog on MacOS X
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 00:42:37 +0000

On Jun 10, 2013, at 7:45 AM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

On 06/09/2013 05:59 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
On Jun 9, 2013, at 10:43 PM, Torsten wrote:

On 09.06.2013 14:56, Ben Abbott wrote:

Torsten,

I have no idea why the workspace colors is squished on MacOS X.  Do they
render correctly on Ubuntu?  Any idea how to fix this?  My only guess is
that the spacing of the contents of the widget aren't inheriting the
settings of their parent (the parent appears to have its layout spacing
set to -1, so I'd expect a reasonable result) , but as I'm barely
literate in c++, I'm unable to confirm.

Could you please try the attached patch?

Torsten

No change for me.  In case it may provide a hint, the "Editor Styles" tab looks great on MacOS X.

The "Editor Styles" might be something done by QScintilla code.  BTW, is what you are seeing in Editor Styles a big font?  Or is it small like the "Storage Class Colors" in your sample image?

No, the font size is correct (another reason why I suspected an inheritance problem ... but still just a guess).

I zoomed and looked closely at the image that you sent, Ben.  It appears to me that the lines of text and color rectangles are already at 12 pixels even though the font being used looks to be much bigger.  (Note that the "Storage Class Colors" header comes out in 12 point.)  You are probably using some type of high-res mode.  So, it seems to me that the Torsten's change:

  QGridLayout *style_grid = new QGridLayout ();
+  style_grid->setVerticalSpacing (12);
  QVector<QLabel*> description (nr_of_classes);

should be something higher than 12 points.  Please try changing that to a vertical spacing to 24, just to give some indication that the change is on the right track.

I changed the veritcal spacing to 24, but it now looks worse.

  QGridLayout *style_grid = new QGridLayout ();
+  style_grid->setVerticalSpacing (24);
  QVector<QLabel*> description (nr_of_classes);

This spacing should really be handled in a non-fixed way.  Torsten, I see that you are using a general algorithm to layout the colors in a grid, as opposed to creating them all inside Designer Qt.  I would guess that the created objects:

     description[i] = new QLabel (class_names.at (i));

are not using the same font size as the layout.  You might need to set description[] (QLabel) font via

void setPixelSize ( int pixelSize )
void setPointSize ( int pointSize )
void setPointSizeF ( qreal pointSize )

I happy to try our a fix if you can tell where where these declarations belong.

Ben

Ben Abbott | Development Fellow | TriQuint Semiconductor, Inc.
1818 S. Orange Blossom Tr | Apopka, FL 32703 | ☎ (407) 884-3418 | ✉ address@hidden