RE: Building on MinGW using MXE-built dependencies [WAS: Re: mxe-install

From: John D
Subject: RE: Building on MinGW using MXE-built dependencies [WAS: Re: mxe-installer try 2]
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 20:10:00 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Philip Nienhuis [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 6:00 PM
To: John D
Cc: 'John W. Eaton'; address@hidden; 'Clemens Buchacher';
'Anirudha Bose'
Subject: Re: Building on MinGW using MXE-built dependencies [WAS: Re:
mxe-installer try 2]

> Did you try to build stable or development Octave?
Development version

> Trying to get qt4 built is indeed painful. You solve one error, you get
two or three seemingly unrelated ones back.
> Maybe it is good to just evaluate what we got now.

I was hoping to download and use the QT for mingw from the Qt website and
use that if I couldn't get Qt compiled under mingw, however small steps
first and getting octave to work on my machine without the GUI would be ok
with me.

> Originally I started this thread because I figured that MXE would be a
wonderful way to quickly and efficiently cross-compile all required Octave
dependencies, so that testing & debugging Octave on MingW could be done by
transplanting the completely built mxe-octave tree to Windows, add some
required MinGW stuff, and then build Octave "natively".

I believe that a Windows compilable version will allow some poor people who
prefer development under Windows to contribute in the future as well as you
say, make debugging the Windows version a little easier.

I will keep on trying and see if we can successful build.

On an off topic, I did give mxe a quick go under Cygwin, just to see what it
would do, however if had issues compiling pkg-config, so no doubt has other
issues to follow.