GSoC students: don't use a named branch for your clone

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: GSoC students: don't use a named branch for your clone
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 17:38:51 -0400

Kai, and everyone else who is working on an hg clone for GSoC, please
don't create a named branch for your clone.

Named branches in Mercurial (the result of "hg branch") are meant for
long-term lines of development. If you look at the output of "hg glog"
(enable the graphlog extension if necessary), you'll see that for your
named branch, the branch name is on each commit. Named branches are
not disposable. They are meant for long-term lines of development.

You don't need to give your branch a name at all. Just clone your
clone and commit on it. There, that's a new branch, anonymous. If you
want to distinguish your changes from Savannah, you may optionally use
a *bookmark* to label the tip of your branch:

    http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/Bookmarks/

Kai, we should do some minor surgery to your repo to get rid of the
branch name. Essentially, we need to scrub the branch name from all
the commits that have it. Since your repo is already public, however,
this also requires scrubbing the public repo. Since this is a
synchronisation problem, we need to be able to discuss this in real
time. Please come by to IRC some time soon so that we can coordinate
this.

I also recommend to everyone to enable the pager, colour, and progress
extensions. They are minor but useful mostly enhancements to hg.

- Jordi G. H.