Re: GSoC project about binary packaging

From: Lukas Reichlin
Subject: Re: GSoC project about binary packaging
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 21:52:35 +0200

On 21.06.2013, at 20:44, Michael Goffioul <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've a student who's supposed to work on improving/completing binary
> packaging of octave on Windows and OS X during the next 2 months. However, I
> can see that there are already 3 to 4 people actively working on MXE.
> MXE/octave seems to already work for MinGW cross and native, as well as
> native Linux. So I'm a bit concerned that there won't be much left to do for
> the student.
>
> So I'd like you to help define clear goals for this project in order to avoid
> stepping on each other's toes. For instance, I had listed adding support for
> OpenBLAS as a possible goal for him, but I saw today it had been added to MXE
> yesterday.
>
> Basically, what's left at the moment?
> - writing a NSI installer that's a bit smarter than "dump everything"; it
> should also support smart reinstallation and package addition (as in: re-run
> the installer to install additional components, which were not selected
> previously)
> - missing octave-forge packages + dependencies
> - OS X
> (feel free the extend the list)
>
> For OS X, I'd like some input from OS X users to assess what's doable. For
> instance, is it possible to integrate installer building inside MXE (for
> instance using some native OS X compilation)? I also remember a recent mail
> from Ben mentioning some new efforts in MacPorts to get octave compiled on OS
> X.
>
> At the end of the day, I hope there will be enough work to be done to make a
> GSoC project.
>
> Thanks,
> Michael.

Hi Michael,

A new version of a real app bundle [1] for OS X would be nice. App bundles can
be installed by drag-and-drop without an installer. This could be done using
Thomas Treichl's work [1] for Octave 3.2 or possibly the new MXE thing. I don't
see how this could work with macports.

Regards,
Lukas

[1]