Re: MXE Octave: GUI doesn't load

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: MXE Octave: GUI doesn't load
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 14:36:44 -0400

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Anirudha Bose <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Michael Goffioul <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 8:57 AM, Anirudha Bose <address@hidden> wrote:
I just finished cross building mxe-octave with GUI enabled. However, I am unable to figure out how to launch Octave with GUI. When I open the file octave.exe directly, it opens the CLI version of Octave.

I used the Control Panel to add the directory C:\Users\ani\Desktop\octave\bin to the Path environment variable. So typing echo %path% in cmd displays the following:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:
\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\OpenCL SDK\2.0\bin\x86;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\OpenCL SDK\2.0\bin\x64;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files\TortoiseHg\;C:\Users\ani\Desktop\octave\bin

Are there any additional steps needed to launch the gui?

Are you positive the GUI has been compiled in?
The following are parts of the log of octave which are relevant.
checking for QT... yes
checking for moc-qt5... no
checking for moc-qt4... no
checking for moc... moc
checking for uic-qt5... no
checking for uic-qt4... no
checking for uic... uic
checking for rcc... rcc
checking for lrelease-qt5... no
checking for lrelease-qt4... no
checking for lrelease... lrelease
checking whether Qt has SetPlaceholderText function... yes

Build Octave GUI:                   yes
JIT compiler for loops:             no
Build Java interface:               no

Do you have a octave.exe and octave-cli.exe executables?

Yes. I have both the executables.

What Windows version are you testing it on?

I am using Windows 8.

Then I think your problem is the bug in gnulib that has been reported here [1]. If you follow the thread, you can find a workaround to apply in gnulib source code (isatty.c). The problem is that gnulib fails to detect stdin as being a console under Win8 due to hard-coded assumptions, which are not valid anymore. To my knowledge, no fix has been applied to gnulib (they're apparently waiting until someone external to gnulib step up and produce a git changeset).

Michael.

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnulib/2012-12/msg00092.html