Re: Languages files for the gui

From: Torsten
Subject: Re: Languages files for the gui
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 06:37:10 +0200

On 28.06.2013 00:06, Catalin Codreanu wrote:

> 2013/6/27 Torsten <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>>
>
>     On 25.06.2013 23 <tel:25.06.2013%2023>:02, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
>     > In addition I found that several English phrases in the GUI aren't
>     > mentioned in the .ts file. I've added what Ifoundbelow.
>     >
>     > TIA
>     >
>     > Philip
>     >
>     > ========missing text=========
>     >
>     > ==================
>     > Preferences widget
>     > ==================
>     > Cancel (on button)
>
>     For nl_NL all qt-elements in the dialogs are in English whereas other
>     languages are recognized by qt. Checking the directory
>     /usr/share/qt4/translations
>     I found out that there is no dutch translation for qt!
>
>     > Editor styles tab
>     > -----------------
>     > Default, Comment, Command, Number, Keyword, Single-quted string,
>     > Operator, Identifier, Double-quoted string
>
>     In /usr/share/qt4/translations I also discovered a few translation files
>     for Qscintilla (cs,de,es,fr,pt_br and ru). I therefore also added a
>     QTranslator to the gui which tries to load the appropriate qsci language
>     file.
>     Changeset: http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/cd29604214c5
>
>     > Terminal tab
>     > ------------
>     > Cursor type
>
>     "Translation" is correctly checked for this label ("Cursor type:") in
>     settings-dialog.ui and it can be found in the file nl_NL.ts.
>
>     > IBeam cursor, Block cursor, Underline cursor
>
>     Confirmed, updated in the sources.
>     Changeset: http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/54c370a00a4a
>
>     >
>     > Terminal tab
>     > ------------
>     > Terminal colors
>     > foreground, background, selection, cursor
>
>     Confirmed, those will be updated in the language files.
>
>     > Workspace tab
>     > -------------
>     > automatic, function, global, hidden, inherited, persistent
>
>     These already are included in the language files.
>
>     > ============
>     > File browser
>     > ============
>     > Name, Size, Type, Date modified
>
>     Like for the qt-dialog elements there is no dutch translation for these
>     qt-strings
>
>     > ======
>     > Editor
>     > ======
>     > right click on code:
>     > Undo, Redo, Cut, Copy, Paste, Delete, Select all
>
>     These are now (cset cd29604214c5) translated if the Qscintilla
>     translation file is found.
>
>     This leads to the question what we should do with the Qscintilla
>     translations for languages not supported by Qscintilla itself. I suggest
> [...]

Recently, I have updated the fr_FR.ts file with "lupdate" and added the
path to the relevant Qscintilla source files. That's why the strings now
show up in the linguist.
But please don't translate them. QScintilla has a french translation
file which is now loaded and used by the gui. If you pull cset
cd29604214c5 and start octave, you should see the context menu in the
editor and the editor styles in the settings dialog in French.

I will update fr_FR.ts again without Qscintilla (maybe tonight). After
that, please only translate the few missing gui strings like cursor
types etc.

Torsten