Re: Basic classdef functionality

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Basic classdef functionality
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 11:54:06 -0400

On 25 July 2013 07:06, Philipp Kutin <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'd like to put up the classdef topic to discussion again, because I
> have a slightly different view on it.

Not to be rude, but talk is kind of cheap... We don't need to be told
what to do, we need to get it done.

> Looking into the Mercurial repository, I see that there's been some
> development on classdef some months ago, so maybe the current state
> already supersedes my concept draft. As a token of my appreciation,
> I'm considering donating 100 US$ to Michael Goffioul, who seems to
> be the primary classdef implementor.

Ah, this is definitely a little less cheap.

jwe and Michael both worked on it, but Michael's work is more recent.

> It doesn't seem possible to specify a particular person using the
> PayPal dialog on the Octave homepage, though.

That's kind of intentional, but if you want to directly give money to
Michael, nothing's stopping you. Michael, how would you like to
receive the money?

> Proper user-definable objects passed by reference are a big deal.

Everyone has a big deal with Octave. Reference semantics happen to be
your big deal.

> I hope that I could convince you a little :).

I'm not sure if Michael actually wants to work on classdef for money.
I know I personally don't want to; classdef, even the parts that seem
simple to you, seems to me like a giant mess.

But tell you what, you seem to have a clear goal of what needs to be
done. I haven't built the classdef branch in a long time, so I don't
know what the current status is. Why don't you prepare a story in
freedomsponsors or bountysource? Raise the money between many people
and find someone who can do it. Maybe Michael, maybe someone else. It
will need some work to do the advertising, but if classdef is that
important to you, perhaps you could do the advertising to raise enough
money to motivate someone to finish it for you?

- Jordi G. H.