Re: News section on Octave.org

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: News section on Octave.org
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 20:38:41 -0400

On 28 July 2013 20:34, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 28 July 2013 22:50, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:
>> ... does anyone read it? Should we keep maintaning it? Could we have
>> an alternative?
>
> You mean the news section at the bottom of the main page? At least I
> don't and I don't think many people would be checking on a static
> page to get news about Octave. They'd be more likely to follow the
> mailing list.

Yeah, I get the feeling that people are just Googling about Octave and
finding our mailing list posts. I don't think our actual webpages are
read much.

> Aside new releases we don't have many news (by the way, there's no
> mention of this year GSoC and SOCIS in there).
>
> On a similar note, the banner for OctConf 2013 is still up on the
> site. Shouldn't it be removed?

Yeah, I was going to update it today to address these two issues.

> Why not set a separate feed for releases and short news add it to
> planet Octave?

This is more or less what I had in mind. Then we just link from the
page to planet Octave?

- Jordi G. H.