Re: GSoC: Improve binary packaging on Mac OS X

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: GSoC: Improve binary packaging on Mac OS X
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 16:30:30 -0400

On Aug 5, 2013, at 4:17 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> On 5 August 2013 16:14, Anirudha Bose <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I am not a Mac user, so maybe my questions might seem lame to everyone. The
>> Macports website says "We provide a single software tree that attempts to
>> track the latest release of every software title (port) we distribute ...
>> targeting mainly the current Mac OS X release (10.8, A.K.A. Mountain Lion)
>> and the immediately previous two (10.7, A.K.A. Lion and 10.6, A.K.A. Snow
>> Leopard)." Doesn't this mean that we can get Octave's dependencies for
>> different versions of Mac OS?
>
> Yes, but the point of your project, as I understand it, was to make it
> possible for anyone to build Octave and not depend on external package
> management. MXE is supposed to do this.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Also, using the Macports approach you'd need different Mac's to create the
different bundles for different versions of MacOSX. When I began working on a
bundle using Macports, I expected it would be straight forward, but it turned
out to be clumsy and unreliable.

I expect using MXE will be less frustrating (but I haven't used it myself).

Ben