Re: Voting on Savannah bugs

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Voting on Savannah bugs
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 14:23:27 -0400

On 7 August 2013 14:17, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Aug 7, 2013, at 2:01 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>
>> I don't know if this has alwasy been there, but there is now a vote
>> section in Savannah bugs. Now we just have to figure out how to make
>> our users actually vote on items.
>>
>> - Jordi G. H.
>

> I hadn't noticed that before either. Should we be worried some may
> see the "voting" feature as an invitation to "manage" Octave's
> development?

I don't think this creates any obligations that weren't there before.
For example, we all knew with high certainty for a long time that the
GUI was a big request, but that doesn't mean any of us are under any
obligation to work on it. I don't see how data about which bugs our
users care about could possibly possibly be harmful.

> Prioritizing bugs by importance is a good idea, but Isn't the
> "severity" item a sufficient indicator of importance?

We rarely modify the default severity, and even so, I think it's
better if our users dictate the severity or at least have some say.

- Jordi G. H.