Re: extra head

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: extra head
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 15:19:10 -0500

On 08/16/2013 05:07 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
(Or an equally plausible scenario is that Ben pulled from the
repository when the bookmark wasn't pointing at the most recent code.)

I think that is what happened in Ben's case.

Here is a snapshot of the current source tree from http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/:

age     author  description
60 minutes ago Rik doc: Rename @xcode macro to @tcode (transpose code) for clarity.default tip 15 hours ago Carnë Draug imwrite: add simple test for actual successfully writing 16 hours ago Carnë Draug imwrite: fix input checking for colormap (bug #39791) 18 hours ago Falk Tannhäuser __plt__.m: Fix legend when plotting vector against matrix (bug #39542) 24 hours ago John Donoghue Windows GUI: Reimplement tabbing in terminal window 26 hours ago Ben Abbott * scripts/plot/hold.m: Fix typo "vargin" -> "varargin".@ 44 hours ago John Donoghue Windows GUI: clear any terminal selection when pressing a key/pasting to terminal.

I see the @ bookmark is not positioned at the tip; it's down at Ben's push from 26 hours ago. Am I correct in assuming that neither John, Falk, Carnë nor Rik are using the @ bookmark, i.e., "hg update @"? This means that anyone who does "hg update @" on the current repository will have a working copy with none of those changes. When that person or persons does a push, there could be conflicts from time to time that require manual merging.

There is a nice in-depth discussion, with examples of bookmarks here:

http://mercurial.aragost.com/kick-start/en/bookmarks/

Unless everyone ties into the @ bookmark so that all pushes automatically update the bookmark, I'm wondering if a bookmark's only effect on a named branch is creating more possible work for those who are using "hg update @".

Bookmarks are nice, but it seems to me their advantage are for the following:

1) A developer who is working on multiple little projects, i.e., "multitasking". For example, in a given day he may have started fixing something when he is called onto another more urgent fix. Right now, what I'm doing for multiple projects is I reach a point where I want to break so I create a changeset patch and save that. Then I rollback and work from the freshest canonical version. When I want to go back to my work I do a normal "patch" command, rather than "hg patch". With bookmarks, I can now simply create bookmarks for my various projects and "hg update XYZ" to swap back and forth. Not bad. But these are bookmarks I'm working with, not in the canonical source tree.

2) Two or a few developers who want to coordinate development on a small change, bouncing ideas to one another. That's good. However, in Octave development we currently have the same sort of thing with the Savannah patch and bug lists. I don't think we'd want to abandon that for bookmarks because it has the benefit of a discussion record that others can engage in. I'm left thinking that in Octave development the place where bookmarks add something is code sprints where two developers can work on a small project that might be done in a couple hours.

Dan