Re: debug display options

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: debug display options
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 11:25:48 -0500

On 08/27/2013 10:49 AM, Rik wrote:
On 08/27/2013 04:58 AM, address@hidden wrote:
Message: 1
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 14:35:31 -0500
From: Daniel J Sebald<address@hidden>
To: "address@hidden"<address@hidden>
Subject: Is a debug "silent" option desirable?

I don't see any type of option for controlling the text that is
displayed by dbstep (either as an option to dbstep() or via separate
function such as dbopt()).  With the GUI and its markers and hot-keys in
the editor, the verbose text in the command window, such as:
It's true, it might be nice to be able to control the debug verbosity.  But
one doesn't usually spend a lot of time in the debugger so my desire to see
this feature implemented, over others, is pretty low; It just doesn't rise
to the level of major irritant for me.

That's because, it sounds like, you are content with the command-line interface. It all depends upon what one gets used to and good ergonomics and information display. With the GUI inherently now containing much of the information about debugging (and down the line a means to quickly get info about the variables via tool tips or whatnot) it seems the command line no longer needs to serve that purpose. A dearth of info is bad, while at the same time an abundance of info is bad. I would hope that effort into making a good GUI debugger gets used and the user doesn't fall back onto their command-line approach to things. They are certainly welcome to, and should probably be given the option to do so in the GUI, but there's always the --no-gui option that does that.

test importdata
stopped in
/usr/local/src/octave/octave/build-gui-12/../octave/scripts/testfun/assert.m
at line 102
102:     if (ischar (expected))
debug>
stopped in
/usr/local/src/octave/octave/build-gui-12/../octave/scripts/testfun/assert.m
at line 120
120:     elseif (iscell (expected))
debug>
stopped in
/usr/local/src/octave/octave/build-gui-12/../octave/scripts/testfun/assert.m
at line 146
146:     elseif (isstruct (expected))
debug>
etc.

seems sort of redundant.  There is this function "dbwhere" which creates
the same text as above.  If in debug mode the text is always displayed
at the command line, the function "dbwhere" probably doesn't find much
use.  Also, wasn't it on the Octave list where there was discussion of a
debug feature that allowed showing more lines of text around the current
position in the file?
Yes, I added a function called dblist which lists the current line and +/-5
lines.  It's still not perfect because it has problems with subfunctions
and private functions.  But it's been workable enough for me that I haven't
done anything more.
   With that feature, and not having the GUI, the
user could probably use the command line interface without requiring the
line of code be displayed with each "dbstep".
I use dbwhere all the time.  Once I get to a failing line I start examining
variables, running snippets of code, and pretty soon the original
breakpoint line has scrolled off the screen entirely and I use 'dbwhere' to
find out where I am again.

Right, but the point wasn't to argue that dbwhere doesn't have a use, more that it is available to provide such information (even in the GUI setting) such that verbosity doesn't need to be so high. Going back to my point above, I think with the GUI the goal is a new and improved paradigm for displaying the info you mentioned.

Dan