Re: Welcome SOCIS 2013 Applicants

From: mcecchetti
Subject: Re: Welcome SOCIS 2013 Applicants
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 23:20:18 -0700 (PDT)

c.-2 wrote
> On 28 Aug 2013, at 21:37, mcecchetti <

> mrcekets@

> > wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>> today I discovered that the list of selected students for SOCIS has been
>> published, indeed I am a bit disappointed to find out I was not selected
>> for
>> the proposed octave project. I would like to know which points of my
>> application has been evaluated too weak compared to the project proposal
>> of
>> the selected student.
>>

>> Regards,
>> -- Marco
>
> Marco,
>
> Essentially your proposal is the same as Roberto's,
>
> but considering that:
>
> 1) He was the one to propose the project idea in the first place:
> http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Geometric_integrators_for_Hamiltonian_Systems
>
> 2) He already presented a well structured plan for the implementation of
> the project and discussed it at OctConf
> http://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2013#Spectral_Variational_Integrators
>
> 3) He has already implemented at least a working prototype of most
> functions required to complete the project,
> as shown in his presentation.
>
> Roberto has been given precedence, as he clearly has stronger and better
> demostrated experteese about this particular project.
>
> Yet you were ranked second among applicant students, so if for some reason
> Roberto
> is not able or not interested any more you are next in line.
>
> c.

I thank you for having detailed the reasons that brought you to your choice.
Now that I am aware of all the elements I can only to agree with your
decision. Maybe Roberto could have pointed out such strong points in his
application. If I could have watched such slides earlier I would have
streamed my efforts on another project proposal.
I hope my way will cross again with Octave development in the future.

Regards,
-- Marco