Re: DEFUN_DLD link rule

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: DEFUN_DLD link rule
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 18:25:06 -0400

On 08/30/2013 03:15 PM, Michael Goffioul wrote:
On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 3:12 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden
<mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    On 08/30/2013 03:05 PM, Michael Goffioul wrote:

        All relevant symbols from libarray.la <http://libarray.la>
        <http://libarray.la> are exported
        by liboctave. No symbol from libgnu.la <http://libgnu.la>
        <http://libgnu.la> is exported by

        liboctave, as MSVC doesn't support symbol auto-exporting.

    How are the symbols from libarray.la <http://libarray.la> exported,
    and can't we do the same for the symbols in libgnu.la
    <http://libgnu.la>?

OCTAVE_API macro.

    It seems to me that the solution is to also export the symbols from
    libgnu.la <http://libgnu.la> instead of linking it to multiple other
    libraries.

Given that liboctinterp, liboctgui and all dldfcn files are using the
headers from gnulib, I don't see a big conceptual problem in also
linking those with libgnu.la <http://libgnu.la>, which is a
static/private/convenience library.

Is it a problem if libgnu.la has global variables or static variables that are intended to manage some internal state? Are those somehow merged so that there is only one copy of each, or do you end up with multiple copies, one for each library that includes libgnu.la functions?