Re: Release Plans

From: Michael D. Godfrey
Subject: Re: Release Plans
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 17:09:04 -0400

On 09/25/2013 04:35 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
I'm leaning toward the first option but I'd like to know what other
people think.
John,

I have been biting my tongue over the fact that the next release
has been slipping away.  This is not apparently due to lack of work.
Rather, the reverse: so many important changes have been going
on that "tomorrow has always looked, and proved to be, better
than today."

So, without any qualification, I vote for a release as soon as
possible.  I routinely use the current devel system for "real" work
and have not found any significant problems lately.
I am quite sure that the current 3.6.4 release would even compile
some of my code.

I would even advocate making FLTK the default graphics system.
This should be made clear to users, with the comment that if
necessary they can switch back to gnuplot, or modify their code
a bit to get what they want with FLTK.  And, since users can choose
whether or not to use the GUI, the way it is now is just fine.  The
fact that it can (will) be made better tomorrow is not relevant.

So, maybe as soon as you get back from Boston would be a good
time to set a schedule and do it.  Or, sooner if you want!

Michael