Re: octave 3.7.7 doesn't find gnuplot

From: Andreas Weber
Subject: Re: octave 3.7.7 doesn't find gnuplot
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 08:56:07 +0200

2013/10/1 Werner Koenig <address@hidden>:
> On 01.10.2013 06:44, Andreas Weber wrote:
>>
>> Am 30.09.2013 22:15, schrieb Werner Koenig:
>>> A simple command plot(1:10) and you get the following error.
>>> error: popen2: popen2 (child): unable to start process -- Datei oder
>>> Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
>>> error: called from:
>>> error:
>>> /opt/octave/share/octave/3.7.7+/m/plot/private/__gnuplot_open_stream__.m
>>> at line 30, column 40
>>
>> See __gnuplot_open_stream__.m:30
>> What does "[prog, args] = gnuplot_binary ()" give you in octave?
>>
>> What about "which gnuplot" in a terminal?
>>
>> ./configure found gnuplot? See for example my config.log:
>>
>> ~/src/octave-build$ grep -C1 gnuplot config.log
>
> thanks for the quick help. I think, I have to read the config.log carefully.

Reading the output summary of ./configure should be sufficient until
you experience problems, then you have to digg into config.log.

> octave 3.7.7 obviously, there was no gnuplot installed. An installation of
> gnuplot without
> reconfiguring octave 3.7.7 made available gnuplot for my system, but it
> don't correct
> the error in octave 3.7.7. So I have to reconfigure and make a new build for
> octave 3.7.7,

The same problem as with flex before...
configure creates the Makefiles so you have to run configure always
after installing/removing packages which should be used in the build
process.

Andy