Re: 300 baud V.21 terminal emulation

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: 300 baud V.21 terminal emulation
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 20:26:32 -0400

On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 12:22 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
> How is the new user supposed to know how to set this?  Why should a new user
> be expected to modify such a file when there is the Preferences section of
> the GUI?  Does one put a startup.m in their root directory? Does an
> administrator have to change this in the search tree?

What I meant is Octave installs this file already and it is already
loaded at startup. That is the file we already have to add settings
like this that make sense. We can try adding the setting to that file
and if that works the way we want, that will become part of the Octave
default install.

> [...]
> I'm understanding the purpose of the GUI release to target a big sector of
> potential users who have no savvy about startup files, shells, environment
> variables, etc.  They would be unaware they actually have a say in how their
> terminal behaves.  Of these options:

True, but hopefully, IMHO, not at the cost of alienating more
experienced users who are used to certain readline features in their
normal shell environment.

> 1) Do not override user prefs, and possibly have very slow cut-and-paste
> while the shell emulation stops and blinks (if it is in fact doing that, as
> I can't really tell) for a half second every time there are brackets.
>
> 2) Disable blink-matching-paren by default (with an option to turn it on),
> and let the Qscintilla editor do the parenthesis matching feature.

Or disable it only when text is being pasted with Ctrl-V or the paste
menu option, as jwe suggested. I'm happy with either disabling by
default or disabling it when paste is active, as long as it doesn't
mess with INPUTRC or prevent the user's readline settings from being
read at startup.

--
mike